Interleukin 24 (IL-24) is a protein that in humans is encoded by the IL24 gene.
IL-24 is a cytokine belonging to the IL-10 family of cytokines that signals through two heterodimeric receptors: IL-20R1/IL-20R2 and IL-22R1/IL-20R2. This interleukin is also known as melanoma differentiation-associated 7 (mda-7) due to its discovery as a tumour suppressing protein. IL-24 appears to control in cell survival and proliferation by inducing rapid activation of particular transcription factors called STAT1 and STAT3. This cytokine is predominantly released by activated monocytes, macrophages and T helper 2 (Th2) cells and acts on non-haematopoietic tissues such as skin, lung and reproductive tissues. IL-24 performs important roles in wound healing, arthritis, psoriasis and cancer. Several studies have shown that cell death occurs in cancer cells/cell lines following exposure to IL-24. The gene for IL-24 is located on chromosome 1 in humans.
- ↑ Poindexter NJ, Walch ET, Chada S, Grimm EA (September 2005). "Cytokine induction of interleukin-24 in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells". J. Leukoc. Biol. 78 (3): 745–52. doi:10.1189/jlb.0205116. PMID 16000394.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ↑ Wang M, Liang P (February 2005). "Interleukin-24 and its receptors". Immunology. 114 (2): 166–70. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2567.2005.02094.x. PMC 1782067. PMID 15667561.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ↑ Kragstrup, TW; Otkjaer, K; Holm, C; Jørgensen, A; Hokland, M; Iversen, L; Deleuran, B (January 2008). "The expression of IL-20 and IL-24 and their shared receptors are increased in rheumatoid arthritis and spondyloarthropathy". Cytokine. 41 (1): 16–23. doi:10.1016/j.cyto.2007.10.004. PMID 18061474.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ↑ Kragstrup, Tue Wenzel; Greisen, Stinne Ravn; Nielsen, Morten Aagaard; Rhodes, Christopher; Stengaard-Pedersen, Kristian; Hetland, Merete Lund; Hørslev-Petersen, Kim; Junker, Peter; Østergaard, Mikkel; Hvid, Malene; Vorup-Jensen, Thomas; Robinson, William H.; Sokolove, Jeremy; Deleuran, Bent (11 March 2016). "The interleukin-20 receptor axis in early rheumatoid arthritis: novel links between disease-associated autoantibodies and radiographic progression". Arthritis Research & Therapy. 18 (1). doi:10.1186/s13075-016-0964-7.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ↑ Fisher PB, Gopalkrishnan RV, Chada S, Ramesh R, Grimm EA, Rosenfeld MR, Curiel DT, Dent P (2003). "mda-7/IL-24, a novel cancer selective apoptosis inducing cytokine gene: from the laboratory into the clinic". Cancer Biol. Ther. 2 (4 Suppl 1): S23–37. PMID 14508078.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ↑ Sauane M, Lebedeva IV, Su ZZ, Choo HT, Randolph A, Valerie K, Dent P, Gopalkrishnan RV, Fisher PB (May 2004). "Melanoma differentiation associated gene-7/interleukin-24 promotes tumor cell-specific apoptosis through both secretory and nonsecretory pathways". Cancer Res. 64 (9): 2988–93. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-0200. PMID 15126330.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ↑ IL24 GeneCard