Ulcerative colitis physical examination
Ulcerative colitis Microchapters
Ulcerative colitis physical examination On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Ulcerative colitis physical examination
Ulcerative colitis shows intestinal and extra intestinal findings on physical examination. These include abdominal tenderness, fever, pallor, inflammation of the iris and uvea, skin rash, inflammation of the joints, aphthous ulcers and clubbing of the fingers.
- Normal appearance in mild disease
- Pallor may be noticed
- Normal in mild disease
- Abdominal tenderness when palpated in severe disease
- Blood seen on rectal exam
The ophthalmic physical exam findings may include:
- Seronegative arthritis, which can be a large-joint oligoarthritis (affecting one or two joints), or may affect many small joints of the hands and feet
- Ankylosing spondylitis, arthritis of the spine
- Sacroiliitis, arthritis of the lower spine
- Erythema nodosum, which is a panniculitis, or inflammation of subcutaneous tissue involving the lower extremities
- Pyoderma gangrenosum, which is a painful ulcerating lesion involving the skin
- Deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
- Clubbing, a deformity of the ends of the fingers
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis, or inflammation of the bile ducts
- Aphthous ulcers of the mouth
By Photographer: User:TheBlunderbuss - Own work. Published under GFDL in English Wiki, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=591677
- Hanauer SB (1996). "Inflammatory bowel disease". N Engl J Med. 334 (13): 841–8. doi:10.1056/NEJM199603283341307. PMID 8596552.
- Prantera C, Davoli M, Lorenzetti R, Pallone F, Marcheggiano A, Iannoni C; et al. (1988). "Clinical and laboratory indicators of extent of ulcerative colitis. Serum C-reactive protein helps the most". J Clin Gastroenterol. 10 (1): 41–5. PMID 3356884.
- D'Haens G, Geboes K, Peeters M, Baert F, Ectors N, Rutgeerts P (1997). "Patchy cecal inflammation associated with distal ulcerative colitis: a prospective endoscopic study". Am J Gastroenterol. 92 (8): 1275–9. PMID 9260788.
- Kim B, Barnett JL, Kleer CG, Appelman HD (1999). "Endoscopic and histological patchiness in treated ulcerative colitis". Am J Gastroenterol. 94 (11): 3258–62. doi:10.1111/j.1572-0241.1999.01533.x. PMID 10566726.
- Silverberg MS, Satsangi J, Ahmad T, Arnott ID, Bernstein CN, Brant SR; et al. (2005). "Toward an integrated clinical, molecular and serological classification of inflammatory bowel disease: report of a Working Party of the 2005 Montreal World Congress of Gastroenterology". Can J Gastroenterol. 19 Suppl A: 5A–36A. PMID 16151544.
- Guan Q, Zhang J (2017). "Recent Advances: The Imbalance of Cytokines in the Pathogenesis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease". Mediators Inflamm. 2017: 4810258. doi:10.1155/2017/4810258. PMC 5379128. PMID 28420941.