Ulcerative colitis classification
Ulcerative colitis Microchapters
Ulcerative colitis classification On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Ulcerative colitis classification
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) may be classified into ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Some cases which depict overlapping features of both ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease can be classified as intermediate colitis. Ulcerative colitis may be classified according to anatomical location as proximal or distal. Additionally, ulcerative colitis may be classified based on the severity into mild, moderate, severe or fulminant.
The inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is divided primarily into ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Ulcerative colitis can be classified on according to anatomical location or severity.
Classification of Ulcerate Colitis based on Location
Ulcerative colitis can be classified as follows based on the location of involvement of the colon:
- Extends proximal to the descending colon
- Systemic therapy is required
Classification of Ulcerate Colitis based on Severity
- Kornbluth A, Sachar DB, Practice Parameters Committee of the American College of Gastroenterology (2010). "Ulcerative colitis practice guidelines in adults: American College Of Gastroenterology, Practice Parameters Committee". Am J Gastroenterol. 105 (3): 501–23, quiz 524. doi:10.1038/ajg.2009.727. PMID 20068560.
- Zhao X, Zhou C, Ma J, Zhu Y, Sun M, Wang P; et al. (2017). "Efficacy and safety of rectal 5-aminosalicylic acid versus corticosteroids in active distal ulcerative colitis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis". Sci Rep. 7: 46693. doi:10.1038/srep46693. PMC 5404224. PMID 28440311.
- Fumery M, Dulai PS, Gupta S, Prokop LJ, Ramamoorthy S, Sandborn WJ; et al. (2017). "Incidence, Risk Factors, and Outcomes of Colorectal Cancer in Patients With Ulcerative Colitis With Low-Grade Dysplasia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis". Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 15 (5): 665–674.e5. doi:10.1016/j.cgh.2016.11.025. PMC 5401779. PMID 27916678.
- Tran DH, Wang J, Ha C, Ho W, Mattai SA, Oikonomopoulos A; et al. (2017). "Circulating cathelicidin levels correlate with mucosal disease activity in ulcerative colitis, risk of intestinal stricture in Crohn's disease, and clinical prognosis in inflammatory bowel disease". BMC Gastroenterol. 17 (1): 63. doi:10.1186/s12876-017-0619-4. PMC 5427565. PMID 28494754.