|File:PDZ domain 2DC2.png|
Molecular structure of the PDZ domain included in the human GOPC (Golgi-associated PDZ and coiled-coil motif-containing protein) protein
The PDZ domain is a common structural domain of 80-90 amino-acids found in the signaling proteins of bacteria, yeast, plants, and animals. PDZ is an acronym combining the first letters of three proteins — post synaptic density protein (PSD95), Drosophila disc large tumor suppressor (DlgA), and zonula occludens-1 protein (zo-1) — which were first discovered to share the domain. PDZ domains are also referred to as DHR (Dlg homologous region) or GLGF (glycine-leucine-glycine-phenylalanine) domains. These domains help anchor transmembrane proteins to the cytoskeleton and hold together signaling complexes.
There are roughly 260 human PDZ domains, though since several PDZ domain containing proteins hold several domains, the actual number of PDZ proteins is closer to 180. Listed below are some of the better studied members of this family.
Human proteins containing this domain
AAG12; AHNAK; AHNAK2; AIP1; APBA1; APBA2; APBA3; ARHGAP21; ARHGAP23; ARHGEF11; ARHGEF12; C14orf112; C16orf65; CASK; CNKSR2; CNKSR3; DFNB31; DLG1; DLG2; DLG3; DLG4; DLG5; DVL1; DVL1L1; DVL2; DVL3; ERBB2IP; FRMPD1; FRMPD2; FRMPD2L1; FRMPD3; FRMPD4; GIPC1; GIPC2; GIPC3; GOPC; GRASP; GRIP1; GRIP2; HTRA1; HTRA2; HTRA3; HTRA4; IL16; INADL; KIAA1849; LDB3; LIMK1; LIMK2; LIN7A; LIN7B; LIN7C; LMO7; LNX1; LNX2; LOC392742; LOC392862; LRRC7; MAGI-3; MAGI1; MAGI2; MAGI3; MAGIX; MAST1; MAST2; MAST3; MAST4; MLLT4; MPDZ; MPP1; MPP2; MPP3; MPP4; MPP5; MPP6; MPP7; MYO18A; NOS1; PARD3; PARD3B; PARD6A; PARD6B; PARD6G; PDLIM1; PDLIM2; PDLIM3; PDLIM4; PDLIM5; PDLIM7; PDZD11; PDZD2; PDZD3; PDZD4; PDZD5A; PDZD7; PDZD8; PDZK1; PDZRN3; PDZRN4; PICK1; PPP1R9A; PPP1R9B; PREX1; PRX; PSCDBP; PTPN13; PTPN3; PTPN4; RAPGEF2; RAPGEF6; RGS12; RGS3; RHPN1; RIMS1; RIMS2; SCRIB; SDCBP; SDCBP2; SHANK1; SHANK2; SHANK3; SHROOM2; SHROOM3; SHROOM4; SIPA1; SIPA1L1; SIPA1L2; SIPA1L3; SLC9A3R1; SLC9A3R2; SNTA1; SNTB1; SNTB2; SNTG1; SNTG2; SNX27; SPAL2; STXBP4; SYNJ2BP; SYNPO2; SYNPO2L; TAX1BP3; TIAM1; TIAM2; TJP1; TJP2; TJP3; USH1C; WHRN;
- ↑ Ponting C (1997). "Evidence for PDZ domains in bacteria, yeast, and plants". Protein Sci. 6 (2): 464–8. PMID 9041651.
- ↑ Ranganathan R, Ross E (1997). "PDZ domain proteins: scaffolds for signaling complexes". Curr Biol. 7 (12): R770–3. PMID 9382826.
- ↑ Jemth, P., Gianni, S. (2007). "PDZ domains: folding and binding". Biochemistry. 40 (30): 8701–8708. PMID 17620015.
- . PDZ domains: targeting signalling molecules to sub-membranous sites. Ponting CP, Phillips C, Davies KE, Blake DJ Bioessays 1997;19:469-479. PMID 9204764
- . Crystal structures of a complexed and peptide-free membrane protein-binding domain: molecular basis of peptide recognition by PDZ. Doyle DA, Lee A, Lewis J, Kim E, Sheng M, MacKinnon R; Cell. 1996;85:1067-1076. PMID 8674113