Cystic fibrosis history and symptoms
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Shaghayegh Habibi, M.D.
Cystic fibrosis Microchapters
Cystic fibrosis history and symptoms On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Cystic fibrosis history and symptoms
Risk calculators and risk factors for Cystic fibrosis history and symptoms
Most common symptoms in cystic fibrosis include salty sweat, constant coughing, diarrhea or greasy stools, stomach pain, constipation and poor weight gain. Less common symptoms include nasal polyp, hemoptysis, and skin irritation.
History and Symptoms
History should be focused on specific areas, including:
- Salty sweat
- Diarrhea or bulky, foul smelling, and greasy stool
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Family history of cystic fibrosis
Common symptoms in cystic fibrosis include:
- Constant coughing
- Poor weight gain/ failure to thrive
Less common symptoms
Less common symptoms in cystic fibrosis include:
- Nasal polyps
- Frequent coughing and hemoptysis (due to respiratory infection)
- Skin irritation (zinc deficiency can cause dermatitis)
- Chest pain
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Cystic Fibrosis - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health".
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Tabori H, Arnold C, Jaudszus A, Mentzel HJ, Renz DM, Reinsch S, Lorenz M, Michl R, Gerber A, Lehmann T, Mainz JG (2017). "Abdominal symptoms in cystic fibrosis and their relation to genotype, history, clinical and laboratory findings". PLoS ONE. 12 (5): e0174463. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0174463. PMC 5417419. PMID 28472055.
- ↑ Sabharwal S (January 2016). "Gastrointestinal Manifestations of Cystic Fibrosis". Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 12 (1): 43–7. PMC 4865785. PMID 27330503.
- ↑ Dowaikh H, Morfin-Sherpa F, Reix P (October 2017). "Acute chest pain in an adolescent with cystic fibrosis in September: Would you have thought about this?". Pediatr. Pulmonol. 52 (10): E70–E72. doi:10.1002/ppul.23746. PMID 28564496.