Cystic fibrosis chest x ray
Cystic fibrosis Microchapters
Cystic fibrosis chest x ray On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Cystic fibrosis chest x ray
Risk calculators and risk factors for Cystic fibrosis chest x ray
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Shaghayegh Habibi, M.D.
In cystic fibrosis the chest radiographic features may overlap with many other disorders, particularly those characterized by inflammatory or destructive changes of the airways. Atelectasis is common in infancy. Most patients with CF demonstrate some of the classic chest radiographic findings that reflect chronic bronchiectasis, including hyperinflation, peribronchial thickening and dilatation, peribronchial cuffing, mucoid impaction, cystic radiolucencies, increase in interstitial marking, and scattered nodular densities.
- In cystic fibrosis chest radiographs may be normal early in life.
- The chest radiographic features may overlap with many other disorders, particularly those characterized by inflammatory or destructive changes of the airways.
- Hyperinflation due to mucus plugging of small bronchioles is the earliest radiographic sign of cystic fibrosis in infants and children.
- Atelectasis (especially in right upper lobe) is common in infancy.
- Most patients with CF demonstrate some of the classic chest radiographic findings that reflect chronic bronchiectasis:
- Bronchial thickening and dilatation
- Peribronchial cuffing
- Mucoid impaction
- Cystic radiolucencies
- Increase in interstitial markings
- Scattered nodular densities
- Abdominal x ray may show dilated loops of bowel.
- ↑ Odev K, Guler I, Altinok T, Pekcan S, Batur A, Ozbiner H (2013). "Cystic and cavitary lung lesions in children: radiologic findings with pathologic correlation". J Clin Imaging Sci. 3: 60. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.124087. PMC 3935260. PMID 24605255.
- ↑ Grum CM, Lynch JP (September 1992). "Chest radiographic findings in cystic fibrosis". Semin Respir Infect. 7 (3): 193–209. PMID 1475543.
- ↑ Vult von Steyern K, Björkman-Burtscher IM, Geijer M (December 2013). "Radiography, tomosynthesis, CT and MRI in the evaluation of pulmonary cystic fibrosis: an untangling review of the multitude of scoring systems". Insights Imaging. 4 (6): 787–98. doi:10.1007/s13244-013-0288-y. PMC 3846934. PMID 24065629.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Cystic fibrosis | Radiology Case | Radiopaedia.org".