Ascites laboratory findings
Ascites laboratory findings On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Ascites laboratory findings
Risk calculators and risk factors for Ascites laboratory findings
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D.  Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Eiman Ghaffarpasand, M.D. 
The only diagnostic laboratory finding associated with ascites is serum-ascites albumin gradient (SAAG). SAAG is defined as the difference between albumin level in serum and ascites. Other diagnostic laboratory findings may reveal the underlying causes of ascites. Cirrhosis, as the most common cause of ascites, reveals elevated liver enzymes, creatinine, international normalized ratio (INR) along with decreased albumin, platelet count, hemoglobin (anemia), and white blood cell (WBC) count.
- The only diagnostic laboratory finding associated with ascites is serum-ascites albumin gradient (SAAG).
- Other diagnostic laboratory findings may reveal the underlying causes of ascites.
- Elevated liver enzymes level
- Elevated creatinine level
- Elevated international normalized ratio (INR)
- Decreased albumin level
- Decreased platelet count
- Decreased hemoglobin (anemia)
- Decreased white blood cell (WBC) count
Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP)
- Elevated white blood cell (WBC) count
- Decreased serum pH and bicarbonate
- Elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN)
- Decreased serum albumin level
- Decreased serum gamma globulin levels
- Decreased lymphocyte count
- ↑ Uddin MS, Hoque MI, Islam MB, Uddin MK, Haq I, Mondol G, Tariquzzaman M (2013). "Serum-ascites albumin gradient in differential diagnosis of ascites". Mymensingh Med J. 22 (4): 748–54. PMID 24292307.
- ↑ Runyon BA, Montano AA, Akriviadis EA, Antillon MR, Irving MA, McHutchison JG. The serum-ascites albumin gradient is superior to the exudate-transudate concept in the differential diagnosis of ascites. Ann Intern Med 1992;117:215-20. PMID 1616215.
- ↑ Warrell DA, Cox TN, Firth JD, Benz ED. Oxford textbook of medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003. ISBN 0-19-262922-0.