Retinoblastoma historical perspective
Retinoblastoma historical perspective On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Retinoblastoma historical perspective
Retinoblastoma was first described in 1809 by Dr. James Wardrop. Then, Dr. Flexner, in 1891, was the first to discover the rosette structure within the tumor. In 1953, Dr. Kupfer was the first ophthalmologist who tried a combination of chemotherapy and radiotherapy for the treatment of the tumor.
- In 1657, Dr. Petrus Pawius, an anatomist from Amsterdam, described a tumor resembling retinoblastoma for the first time.
- In 1767, Dr. Hayes, a surgeon, was first to describe the bilateral form of retinoblastoma.
- In 1809, Dr. James Wardrop, a Scottish surgeon and ophthalmologist, first described the retinoblastoma tumor.
- In 1971, Dr. Knudson proposed the two-hit hypothesis which gives the light to the pathogenesis of the familial and sporadic form of the tumor.
- In 1891, Dr. Flexner was the first to discover the rosette structure within the tumor.
- In the 1920s, Verhoeff claimed that the tumor arose from embryonic retinal cells and hence proposed the name "retinoblastoma".
- Retinoblastoma is the first cancer in which the role of genetics was discovered.
- In 1977, Dr. Jakobiec and colleagues were the first to describe the association between bilateral intraocular retinoblastoma and intracranial malignancy, also known as trilateral retinoblastoma.
Landmark Events in the Development of Treatment Strategies
- In 1851, Mr. Helmholtz invented ophthalmoscope, with which the study of tumor became possible.
- Dr. James Wardrop was also the first who proposed the idea that early enucleation of the eye might save the life of the patient.
- Dr. William Mackenzie of Glasgow was the first who suggested a less painful method for the enucleation of the eye.
- In 1903, Dr. Hilgartner, was the first who tried to treat the tumor via x-ray.
- In 1953, Dr. Kupfer was the first ophthalmologist who tried a combination of chemotherapy (a nitrogen mustard agent) and radiotherapy for the treatment of the tumor.
- Albert, Daniel M. (1987). "Historic Review of Retinoblastoma". Ophthalmology. 94 (6): 654–662. doi:10.1016/S0161-6420(87)33407-4. ISSN 0161-6420.
- Knudson AG (April 1971). "Mutation and cancer: statistical study of retinoblastoma". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 68 (4): 820–3. PMC 389051. PMID 5279523.
- Dimaras H (March 2015). "Retinoblastoma genetics in India: From research to implementation". Indian J Ophthalmol. 63 (3): 219–26. doi:10.4103/0301-4738.156917. PMC 4448234. PMID 25971166.
- Jakobiec FA, Tso MO, Zimmerman LE, Danis P (May 1977). "Retinoblastoma and intracranial malignancy". Cancer. 39 (5): 2048–58. PMID 870165.