Differentiating Hirschsprung's Disease from other Diseases
Hirschsprung's disease Microchapters
Differentiating Hirschsprung's Disease from other Diseases On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Differentiating Hirschsprung's Disease from other Diseases
Hirschsprung's disease must be differentiated from other diseases that cause a failure to pass meconium or abdominal distension in infants, including meconium plug syndrome, small left colon syndrome, and congenital hypothyroidism.
Differentiating Hirschsprung's disease from other diseases
Hirschsprung's disease must be differentiated from other diseases in infancy such as the following that present with similar features, including a failure to pass meconium, abdominal distension, and non-bilious vomiting.
- Meconium plug syndrome
- Small left colon syndrome
- Distal small intestine/colon atresia
- Meconium ileus and cystic fibrosis complex
|Disease||Prominent clinical features||Radiological findings|
|Meconium plug syndrome|
|Small left colon syndrome|
|Distal small intestine/colon atresia|
- Keckler SJ, St Peter SD, Spilde TL, Tsao K, Ostlie DJ, Holcomb GW, Snyder CL (2008). "Current significance of meconium plug syndrome". J. Pediatr. Surg. 43 (5): 896–8. doi:10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2007.12.035. PMC 3086204. PMID 18485962.
- Berdon WE, Slovis TL, Campbell JB, Baker DH, Haller JO (1977). "Neonatal small left colon syndrome: its relationship with aganglionosis and meconium plug syndrome". Radiology. 125 (2): 457–62. doi:10.1148/125.2.457. PMID 910057.
- Spitz L (2006). "Observations on the origin of congenital intestinal atresia". S. Afr. Med. J. 96 (9 Pt 2): 864. PMID 17077911.
- HOLSCLAW DS, ECKSTEIN HB, NIXON HH (1965). "MECONIUM ILEUS. A 20-YEAR REVIEW OF 109 CASES". Am. J. Dis. Child. 109: 101–13. PMID 14237408.
- "Elementary school performance of children with congenital hypothyroidism. New England Congenital Hypothyroidism Collaborative". J. Pediatr. 116 (1): 27–32. 1990. PMID 2295961.