Diphtheria history and symptoms
Diphtheria history and symptoms On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Diphtheria history and symptoms
Risk calculators and risk factors for Diphtheria history and symptoms
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Dima Nimri, M.D. 
Respiratory diphtheria presents with a wide range of systemic and respiratory symptoms.
History and Symptoms
Respiratory diphtheria presents with a wide range of systemic and respiratory symptoms, including:
- Sore throat (most common presenting symptom)
- Runny nose (rhinorrhea)
- Hoarseness of voice
- Nasal obstruction
- Coughing of blood (hemoptysis)
- Muscle pain (myalgia)
- Neck swelling due to cervical adenopathy
Cutaneous (Skin) Diphtheria
Cutaneous diphtheria usually presents with ulcers or pustular lesions, which can involve different parts of the body. Lesions may be covered by a grayish-white pseudomembrane, similar to tonsillar exudates of respiratory diphtheria.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dobie RA, Tobey DN (1979). "Clinical features of diphtheria in the respiratory tract". JAMA. 242 (20): 2197–201. PMID 490806.
- ↑ Center for Disease Control and Prevention http://phil.cdc.gov/phil/details.asp Accessed on Oct. 7, 2016.
- ↑ Rappold LC, Vogelgsang L, Klein S, Bode K, Enk AH, Haenssle HA (2016). "Primary cutaneous diphtheria: management, diagnostic workup, and treatment as exemplified by a rare case report". J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 14 (7): 734–6. doi:10.1111/ddg.12722. PMID 27373251.