Xerosis (patient information)
Xerosis On the Web
For the WikiDoc page for this topic, click here.
Xerosis is an abnormal dryness of the skin or mucus membranes.
What are the symptoms of Xerosis?
What causes Xerosis?
Who is at highest risk?
Dry skin usually gets worse during the winter.
Older people are usually affected more by this condition
The skin is dry, scaly, itchy, and red. Fine cracks may appear on the skin.
The arms and legs are usually affected most.
When to seek urgent medical care?
- Moisturizers, especially those that contain urea and lactic acid
- Topical steroids -- for areas that get very inflamed and itchy
Where to find medical care for Xerosis?
Prevention of Xerosis
- Avoid excess exposure to water
- Keep the bath water relatively cool
- Use gentle skin cleansers that do not contain dyes and fragrances