Otitis externa history and symptoms
Otitis externa Microchapters
Otitis externa history and symptoms On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Otitis externa history and symptoms
Risk calculators and risk factors for Otitis externa history and symptoms
Editor-In-Chief: C. Michael Gibson, M.S., M.D. ; Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief: Luke Rusowicz-Orazem, B.S.; Tarek Nafee, M.D. 
Symptoms for all forms of otitis externa include pain, itching, and swelling of the ear canal. Symptoms of chronic, recurrent otitis externa include lack of earwax and buildup of dead skin causing narrowing of the ear canal. Symptoms of malignant necrotizing otitis externa include severe ear pain, facial paralysis, difficulty opening mouth, and difficulty swallowing. History of allergies, aquatic-based occupations, or exposure to sources of immunocompromise such as chemotherapy and diabetes mellitus should be considered in otitis externa patients.
A carefully collected history from a patient with otitis externa may include:
- History of allergies manifesting as [dermatitis]]
- History of an occupation involving swimming, scuba-diving, or surfing
- History of immunosuppression in cases of malignant otitis externa:
- Recent chemotherapy
- History of diabetes mellitus
Symptoms of acute otitis externa include:
- Ear pain
- Itching of the ear canal
- Swelling of the ear canal
- Redness of the ear canal
- Pressure inside the ear
- Pain in the jaw when in motion
- Partial hearing loss
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Scaley skin in the ear canal
Symptoms of chronic, recurrent otitis externa include:
- Persistent itching of the ear
- Lack of earwax
- Buildup of dead skin causing narrowing of the ear canal
Symptoms of malignant necrotizing otitis externa include:
- Severe ear pain
- Facial paralysis
- Difficulty opening mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- ↑ Rosenfeld, R; Brown, L; Cannon, C; Dolor, R; Ganiats, T; Hannley, M; Kokemueller, P; Marcy, S; Roland, P; Shiffman, R (2006). "Clinical practice guideline: Acute otitis externa". Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. 134 (4): S4–S23. doi:10.1016/j.otohns.2006.02.014. ISSN 0194-5998.
- ↑ "Otitis externa - Symptoms - NHS Choices".
- ↑ Rosenfeld RM, Schwartz SR, Cannon CR, Roland PS, Simon GR, Kumar KA, Huang WW, Haskell HW, Robertson PJ (2014). "Clinical practice guideline: acute otitis externa". Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 150 (1 Suppl): S1–S24. doi:10.1177/0194599813517083. PMID 24491310.
- ↑ Handzel O, Halperin D (2003). "Necrotizing (malignant) external otitis". Am Fam Physician. 68 (2): 309–12. PMID 12892351.
- ↑ "Malignant otitis externa: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia".