Carotid body tumor (patient information)
What are the Symptoms of carotid body tumor?
This disease may be asymptomatic for a long time, but in case of a symptomatic tumor, the presence of a mass in the side of the neck is the most common complaining symptoms. It may also present with other symptoms depending on the invasion of the tumor to the neighboring structures. symptoms such as:
What Causes carotid body tumor?
Who is at Highest Risk?
When to Seek Urgent Medical Care?
- The treatment options may differ according to the age of the patient, Shamblin sub classification of the tumor and the presence of concurrent tumor elsewhere in the body or metastasis.
- Treatment options include surgery, radiotherapy, and observation.
Where to find Medical Care for carotid body tumor?
Medical care for (disease name) can be found here.
What to Expect (Outlook/Prognosis)?
- The prognosis is usually good after the removal of the tumor.
- In case of malignant tumor, the 10-year survival rate is 50%.
- The tumor complications include invasion of the tumor to the neighboring vessels and nerves and subsequent neurological dysfunction and risk of bleeding.