- S-adenosyl-L-methionine + tRNA containing uridine at position 54 S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + tRNA containing ribothymidine at position 54
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are S-adenosyl methionine and tRNA containing uridine at position 54, whereas its two products are S-adenosylhomocysteine and tRNA containing ribothymidine at position 54.
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those transferring one-carbon group methyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is S-adenosyl-L-methionine:tRNA (uracil-5-)-methyltransferase. Other names in common use include ribothymidyl synthase, transfer RNA uracil 5-methyltransferase, transfer RNA uracil methylase, tRNA uracil 5-methyltransferase, m5U-methyltransferase, tRNA:m5U54-methyltransferase, and RUMT.
- IUBMB entry for 18.104.22.168
- BRENDA references for 22.214.171.124 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 126.96.36.199
- PubMed Central references for 188.8.131.52
- Google Scholar references for 184.108.40.206
- Hurwitz J, Gold M, Anders M (1964). "The Enzymatic Methylation of Ribonucleic Acid and Deoxyribonucleic Acid. 3. Purification of Soluble Ribonucleic Acid-Methylating Enzymes". J. Biol. Chem. 239: 3462&ndash, 3473. PMID 14245404.
- Bjork GR, Svensson I (1969). "Studies on microbial RNA. Fractionation of tRNA methylases from Saccharomyces cerevisiae". Eur. J. Biochem. 9: 207&ndash, 15. PMID 69267419 Check
- Greenberg R, Dudock B (1980). "Isolation and chracterization of m5U-methyltransferase from Escherichia coli". J. Biol. Chem. 255: 8296&ndash, 302. PMID 6997293.
- Delk AS, Nagle DP Jr, Rabinowitz JC (1980). "Methylenetetrahydrofolate-dependent biosynthesis of ribothymidine in transfer RNA of Streptococcus faecalis. Evidence for reduction of the 1-carbon unit by FADH2". J. Biol. Chem. 255: 4387&ndash, 90. PMID 6768721.
- Kealey JT, Gu X, Santi DV (1994). "Enzymatic mechanism of tRNA (m5U54)methyltransferase". Biochimie. 76: 1133&ndash, 42. PMID 7748948.
- Gu X, Ivanetich KM, Santi DV (1996). "Recognition of the T-arm of tRNA by tRNA (m5U54)-methyltransferase is not sequence specific". Biochemistry. 35: 11652&ndash, 9. PMID 8794745.
- Becker HF, Motorin Y, Sissler M, Florentz C, Grosjean H (1997). "Major identity determinants for enzymatic formation of ribothymidine and pseudouridine in the T psi-loop of yeast tRNAs". J. Mol. Biol. 274: 505&ndash, 18. PMID 9417931.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 37257-02-6.
Gene Ontology (GO) codes
|This transferase article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|