Roswell Park Cancer Institute
|Roswell Park Cancer Institute |
National Cancer Institute; National Comprehensive Cancer Network
|Place||Buffalo Erie County, New York, (US)|
|Care System||Medicare (US)|
|Hospital Type||Teaching, Specialist, Research, Education, comprehensive cancer care|
|Affiliated University||State University of New York|
|See also||Hospitals in New York|
The Roswell Park Cancer Institute is a cancer research and treatment center located in Buffalo, New York. Founded in 1898 by Dr. Roswell Park, it was the first dedicated medical facility for cancer treatment and research in the United States. The facility is involved in drug development and conducts clinical research for cancer treatment.
RPCI is the only upstate New York facility to hold the National Cancer Center designation of "comprehensive cancer center" and to serve as a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
Over its long history, Roswell Park Cancer Institute has made fundamental contributions to reducing the cancer burden and has successfully maintained an exemplary leadership role in setting the national standards for cancer care, research and education.
The campus spans 25 acres in downtown Buffalo and consists of 15 buildings with about one million square feet of space. A new hospital building, completed in 1998, houses a comprehensive diagnostic and treatment center. In addition, the Institute built a new medical research complex and renovated existing education and research space to support its future growth and expansion.
Roswell Park Cancer Institute is dedicated to providing total care to the cancer patient; to conducting research into the causes, treatment and prevention of cancer; and to educating the public and the next generation of those who study and treat cancer.
Roswell Park Cancer Institute is committed to providing the highest quality, state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment in a caring environment, built on the concept that a holistic approach to the medical and psychosocial needs of the cancer patient is essential to successful treatment.
The Institute continually strives to offer:
- Innovative research which provides fundamental new understandings of the prevention, causes, control and cure of cancer
- Access to promising new treatments for patients who develop cancer
- Unique cancer treatments for patients who develop cancer
- Unique cancer treatment services which ultimately will lead to better quality of life outcomes
- Educational resources for the medical professional, paraprofessional and allied health worker
- Community outreach programs throughout Western New York, with special emphasis on minority and high-risk populations
- Solutions in cancer prevention and education leading to a healthier population and reduced public expenditure for preventable cancers and related illnesses
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- State Pathological Laboratory of the University of Buffalo, 1898-1911
- State Institute for the Study of Malignant Diseases, 1911-1946
- Roswell Park Memorial Institute (RPMI), 1946-1992
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI), 1992-
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute Homepage
- Roswell Park Alliance Foundation
- Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus - RPCI
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute Education Home
- Roswell Park Survey Research Center - SRDAR
- The Paint Box Project®
- Carly's Club
- Ride for Roswell
- Team Cure Challenge
- Y-Roswell Park for Generation Y
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute is at coordinates Template:Coord/display/inline,title