Ribosomal s6 kinase
In molecular biology, ribosomal s6 kinase (rsk) is a family of protein kinases involved in signal transduction. There are two subfmilies of rsk, p90rsk, also known as MAPK-activated protein kinase-1 (MAPKAP-K1), and p70rsk, also known as S6-H1 Kinase. There are three variants of p90rsk in humans, rsk 1-3. Rsks are serine/threonine kinases and are activated by the MAPK/ERK pathway.
Rsk is named for ribosomal protein s6, part of the mechanism of translation, but several other substrates have been identified, including other ribosomal proteins. Cytosolic substrates of p90rsk include protein phosphatase 1; glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK3); L1 CAM, a neural cell adhesion molecule; Son of Sevenless, the Ras exchance factor; and Myt1, an inhibitor of cdc2.
p90 Rsk-2 is located at Xp22.2 and contains 22 exons. Mutations in this gene have been associated with Coffin-Lowry syndrome, a disease characterised by severe psychomotor retardation and other developmental abnormalities.
The main distinguishing feature between p90rsk and p70rsk is that the 90 kDa family contain two non-identical kinase domains, while the 70 kDa family contain only one kinase domain.
- Morten Frödin and Steen Gammeltoft. 1999. Role and regulation of 90 kDa ribosomal S6 kinase (RSK) in signal transduction. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 151(1-2):Pages 65-77 (PMID 10411321 doi:DOI 10.1016/S0303-7207(99)00061-1 DOI)
- GenBank, Entrez Gene
- Online 'Mendelian Inheritance in Man' (OMIM) 300075
- Y Zhao, C Bjørbaek, S Weremowicz, C C Morton, and D E Moller. 1993. RSK3 encodes a novel pp90rsk isoform with a unique N-terminal sequence: growth factor-stimulated kinase function and nuclear translocation. Mol Cell Biol. 15(8):4353–4363.
- Based on figure 2 and 5 in Frödin and Gammeltoft, 1999.
- Eleanor Erikson and James L. Maller. 1985. A Protein Kinase from Xenopus Eggs Specific for Ribosomal Protein S6. PNAS 82(3):742-746
Kinases: Serine/threonine-specific protein kinases (primarily EC 2.7.11)
|2.7.11||Pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase - Protein kinase A - Protein kinase G - Protein kinase C (Protein kinase Mζ) - Rhodopsin - Beta adrenergic receptor - G-protein coupled receptor kinases - Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent - Myosin light-chain) - Phosphorylase - Cyclin-dependent - Mitogen-activated (Extracellular signal-regulated, C-Jun N-terminal (MAPK8, MAPK9), P38 mitogen-activated protein) - MAP3K - GSK-3 - AMP-activated|
|2.7.12||MAP2K (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)|
|126.96.36.199, or unknown||Anti-Mullerian hormone receptor - Ataxia telangiectasia mutated - Aurora (A, B) - Mammalian target of rapamycin - Bone morphogenetic protein receptors (1, 2) - CDKL5 - c-Raf - EIF-2 - Ribosomal s6 - Protein kinase B - PDK1|