- (S)-reticuline + O2 (S)-scoulerine + H2O2
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on X-H and Y-H to form an X-Y bond with oxygen as acceptor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (S)-reticuline:oxygen oxidoreductase (methylene-bridge-forming). Other names in common use include BBE, berberine bridge enzyme, berberine-bridge-forming enzyme, and tetrahydroprotoberberine synthase. This enzyme participates in alkaloid biosynthesis i.
- IUBMB entry for 184.108.40.206
- BRENDA references for 220.127.116.11 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 18.104.22.168
- PubMed Central references for 22.214.171.124
- Google Scholar references for 126.96.36.199
- Steffens P, Nagakura N and Zenk MH (1984). "The berberine bridge forming enzyme in tetrahydroprotoberberine biosynthesis". Tetrahedron Lett. 25: 951&ndash, 952.
- Dittrich H, Kutchan TM (1991). "Molecular cloning, expression, and induction of berberine bridge enzyme, an enzyme essential to the formation of benzophenanthridine alkaloids in the response of plants to pathogenic attack". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 88: 9969&ndash, 73. PMID 1946465.
- Kutchan TM, Dittrich H (1995). "Characterization and mechanism of the berberine bridge enzyme, a covalently flavinylated oxidase of benzophenanthridine alkaloid biosynthesis in plants". J. Biol. Chem. 270: 24475&ndash, 81. PMID 7592663.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 152232-28-5.