- S-adenosyl-L-methionine + protein C-terminal S-farnesyl-L-cysteine S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine + protein C-terminal S-farnesyl-L-cysteine methyl ester
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are S-adenosyl methionine and protein C-terminal S-farnesyl-L-cysteine, whereas its two products are S-adenosylhomocysteine and protein C-terminal S-farnesyl-L-cysteine methyl ester.
This enzyme belongs to the family of transferases, specifically those transferring one-carbon group methyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is S-adenosyl-L-methionine:protein-C-terminal-S-farnesyl-L-cysteine O-methyltransferase. Other names in common use include farnesyl cysteine C-terminal methyltransferase, farnesyl-protein carboxymethyltransferase, protein C-terminal farnesylcysteine O-methyltransferase, farnesylated protein C-terminal O-methyltransferase, isoprenylated protein methyltransferase, prenylated protein methyltransferase, protein S-farnesylcysteine C-terminal methyltransferase, S-farnesylcysteine methyltransferase, prenylcysteine carboxylmethyltransferase [misleading], prenylcysteine carboxymethyltransferase [misleading], and prenylcysteine methyltransferase.
- IUBMB entry for 126.96.36.199
- BRENDA references for 188.8.131.52 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 184.108.40.206
- PubMed Central references for 220.127.116.11
- Google Scholar references for 18.104.22.168
- Clarke S, Vogel JP, Deschenes RJ, Stock J (1988). "Posttranslational modification of the Ha-ras oncogene protein: evidence for a third class of protein carboxyl methyltransferases". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 85: 4643&ndash, 7. PMID 3290900.
- Ota IM, Clarke S (1989). "Enzymatic methylation of 23-29-kDa bovine retinal rod outer segment membrane proteins. Evidence for methyl ester formation at carboxyl-terminal cysteinyl residues". J. Biol. Chem. 264: 12879&ndash, 84. PMID 2753892.
- Stephenson RC, Clarke S (1990). "Identification of a C-terminal protein carboxyl methyltransferase in rat liver membranes utilizing a synthetic farnesyl cysteine-containing peptide substrate". J. Biol. Chem. 265: 16248&ndash, 54. PMID 2398053.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 130731-20-3.
Gene Ontology (GO) codes
|This transferase article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|