- (S)-lactaldehyde + NAD+ + H2O (S)-lactate + NADH + 2 H+
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on the aldehyde or oxo group of donor with NAD+ or NADP+ as acceptor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is (S)-lactaldehyde:NAD+ oxidoreductase. Other names in common use include L-lactaldehyde:NAD+ oxidoreductase, and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+)-linked dehydrogenase. This enzyme participates in pyruvate metabolism.
- IUBMB entry for 126.96.36.199
- BRENDA references for 188.8.131.52 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 184.108.40.206
- PubMed Central references for 220.127.116.11
- Google Scholar references for 18.104.22.168
- Rembold H, Simmersbach F (1969). "Catabolism of pteridine cofactors. II. A specific pterin deaminase in rat liver". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 184: 589&ndash, 96. PMID 5821022.
- Sridhara S, Wu TT (1969). "Purification and properties of lactaldehyde dehydrogenase from Escherichia coli". J. Biol. Chem. 244: 5233&ndash, 8. PMID 4310089.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 37250-90-1.