Foreign medical graduate

Jump to: navigation, search

A foreign medical graduate or "FMG" is a term used to describe doctors who have graduated from any medical school not accredited by the medical board in the country the doctor is currently wishing to practice. Also known as an "international medical graduate."

(From an American perspective): FMG's who wish to be licensed as physicians in the United States must first enter a U.S. residency hospital program. To do so, they must obtain their ECFMG certification.

Those FMGs who have successfully passed their USMLE exams and obtained their ECFMG certification can then apply to U.S. residency positions via the NRMP and ERAS.

  • Each country around the world has their own system of evaluating FMGs/IMGs.


  • The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates

External links