Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
In the early 1940s the Colombo Medical School was amalgamated with University College in Colombo, to create the University of Ceylon. In its coloured history spanning over 135 years it has produced thousands of doctors who have helped contribute to the relatively impressive health statistics in Sri Lanka. Over 1200 students are currently enrolled in the faculty. nnnnnnnnn
In addition to the training of undergraduates, the medical school offers a variety of post-graduate courses such as Internal Pharmacists Examinations etc. A wide spectrum of clinical, laboratory and consultative services are offered to many institutions, nationally and internationally by the academic staff. The medical school has been in the forefront of research in the fields of malaria, organ transplantation, adolescence, aging, drug abuse, filariasis, genetics and human reproduction. In 1988 the faculty was instrumental in starting the first renal transplantation program and this program which continues to date has now successfully transplanted over 500 patients and has archived graft and patient survival rates comparable with western standards.
Academic staff of the clinical faculties act as honorary consultants in the National Hospital of Sri Lanka which is located in the vicinity. Each clinical department has a wards allocated to them in the above hospital and the final year program consists of "professorial appointments" where students continue their education in clinical aspects of medicine.
The National Hospital of Sri Lanka, De Zoysa Maternity Hospital and Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children located close by are made use of by the students for their clinical training. The Postgraduate Institute of Medicine which is the training institute for postgraduate medical studies also located in the vicinity and is administrated by the University of Colombo. It is currently headed by Prof Rezvi Sheriff.
Prof. Dulitha Fernando, Professor of Community Medicine, is currently the Dean of the Faculty.
Current Chairs and Heads of Departments and Special Units
- Chair: Prof. Rohan W. Jayasekera
- Head: Prof. Benita Stephen
- Chair: Vacant
- Head: Dr. Suresh Dissanayake
- Chair and Head: Prof. Sunethra Athukorale
- Chair: Prof. Chandu de Silva
- Head: Prof. Chandu de Silva
- Chair and Head: Prof. Laal Jayakody
- Chair: Prof. Lalitha Mendis
- Head: Prof. Jennifer Perera
- Chair and Head: Prof. Nadeera Karunaweera
- Chair: Prof. Dulitha Fernando.
- Head: Dr. Wasantha Gunathunga
- Chair and Head: Prof. Ravindra Fernando
- Chair: Prof. Rezvi Sherrif
- Head: Prof. Shyam Fernando
- Chair: Prof. Geri Jayasekara
- Head: Prof. Mandika Wijeyaratne
- Chair and Head: Prof. Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Chair and Head: Prof. Harsha R. Seneviratne
- Chair: Prof. Nalaka Mendis
- Head: Dr. Varuni de Silva
Malaria Research Unit
- Director: Prof. Nadeera Karunaweera
Human Genetics Unit
- Director: Prof. Rohan W. Jayasekera
Medical Education and Research Centre
- Director: Dr. Ranjan Dias
- A history of medicine in Sri Lanka - from the earliest time to 1948. Uragoda C G. 1987. Sri Lanka Medical Association. Colombo