Cellulose synthase (GDP-forming)
- GDP-glucose + (1,4-beta-D-glucosyl)n GDP + (1,4-beta-D-glucosyl)n+1
This enzyme belongs to the family of glycosyltransferases, specifically the hexosyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is GDP-glucose:1,4-beta-D-glucan 4-beta-D-glucosyltransferase. Other names in common use include cellulose synthase (guanosine diphosphate-forming), cellulose synthetase, guanosine diphosphoglucose-1,4-beta-glucan glucosyltransferase, and guanosine diphosphoglucose-cellulose glucosyltransferase. This enzyme participates in starch and sucrose metabolism.
- IUBMB entry for 22.214.171.124
- BRENDA references for 126.96.36.199 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 188.8.131.52
- PubMed Central references for 184.108.40.206
- Google Scholar references for 220.127.116.11
- Chambers J, Elbein AD (1970). "Biosynthesis of glucans in mung bean seedlings. Formation of beta-(1,4)-glucans from GDP-glucose and beta-(1,3)-glucans from UDP-glucose". Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 138: 620&ndash, 31. PMID 4317490.
- Flowers HM, Batra KK, Kemp J, Hassid WZ (1969). "Biosynthesis of cellulose in vitro from guanosine diphosphate D-glucose with enzymic preparations from Phaseolus aureus and Lupinus albus". J. Biol. Chem. 244: 4969&ndash, 74. PMID 5824571.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 9027-18-3.
Gene Ontology (GO) codes
|60x45px||This enzyme-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|