4-cresol dehydrogenase (hydroxylating)
- 4-cresol + acceptor + H2O 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde + reduced acceptor
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on CH or CH2 group with other acceptors. The systematic name of this enzyme class is 4-cresol:acceptor oxidoreductase (methyl-hydroxylating). Other names in common use include p-cresol-(acceptor) oxidoreductase (hydroxylating), and p-cresol methylhydroxylase. This enzyme participates in toluene and xylene degradation. It has 2 cofactors: FAD, and Cytochrome c.
- IUBMB entry for 220.127.116.11
- BRENDA references for 18.104.22.168 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 22.214.171.124
- PubMed Central references for 126.96.36.199
- Google Scholar references for 188.8.131.52
- Hopper DJ, Taylor DG (1977). "The purification and properties of p-cresol-(acceptor) oxidoreductase (hydroxylating), a flavocytochrome from Pseudomonas putida". Biochem. J. 167: 155&ndash, 62. PMID 588247.
- McIntire W, Edmondson DE, Singer TP, Hopper DJ (1980). "8 alpha-O-Tyrosyl-FAD: a new form of covalently bound flavin from p-cresol methylhydroxylase". J. Biol. Chem. 255: 6553&ndash, 5. PMID 7391034.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 66772-07-4.