|Other names||Iodotrifluoromethane, Monoiodotrifluoromethane, Trifluoromethyl iodide, Perfluoromethyl iodide, Freon 13T1|
3D model (JSmol)
|ECHA InfoCard||Lua error in Module:Wikidata at line 879: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value). Lua error in Module:Wikidata at line 879: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|
|Molar mass||195.91 g/mol|
|Appearance||Colorless odorless gas|
|Density||2.5485 g/cm3 at -78.5 °C
2.3608 g/cm3 at -32.5 °C
|Vapor pressure||541 kPa|
|Main hazards||Harmful (Xn)|
|S-phrases||, , ,|
|Except where noted otherwise, data are given for|
materials in their standard state
(at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Infobox disclaimer and references
Trifluoroiodomethane, also referred to as trifluoromethyl iodide is a halomethane with the formula CF3I. It is an experimental alternative to Halon 1301 (CBrF3) in unoccupied areas . It would be used as a gaseous fire suppression flooding agent for in-flight aircraft and electronic equipment fires.
It contains carbon, fluorine, and iodine atoms. Although iodine is several hundred times more efficient at destroying stratospheric ozone than chlorine, experiments have shown that because the weak C-I bond breaks easily under the influence of water (owing to the electron-attracting fluorine atoms), trifluoroiodomethane has an ozone depleting potential less than one-thousandth that of Halon 1301 (0.008-0.01). Its atmospheric lifetime, at less than 1 month, is less than 1 percent that of Halon 1301, and less even than hydrogen chloride formed from volcanoes.
For further information, a report from the Board on Environmental Studies and Toxicology of the National Academy of Sciences entitled Iodotrifluoromethane: Toxicity Review (2004) is available for free online reading and research in several formats.
- Duan Y. Y., Shi L., Sun L. Q., Zhu M. S., Han L. Z. (March 2000). "Thermodynamic Properties of Trifluoroiodomethane (CF3I)". International Journal of Thermophysics. 21 (2): 393-404(12). Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- Duan Y. Y., Shi L., Zhu M. S., Han L. Z. (January 1999). "Surface tension of trifluoroiodomethane (CF3I)". Fluid Phase Equilibria. 154 (1): 71-77(7). doi:10.1016/S0378-3812(98)00439-7. Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- Duan Y. Y., Shi L., Sun L. Q., Zhu M. S., Han L. Z. (1997). "Thermal Conductivity of Gaseous Trifluoroiodomethane (CF3I)". J. Chem. Eng. Data. 42 (5): 890-893 (4). Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- Duan Y. Y., Shi L., Zhu M. S., Han L. Z. (1999). "Critical Parameters and Saturated Density of Trifluoroiodomethane (CF3I)". J. Chem. Eng. Data. 44 (3): 501–504. Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- Chamber Studies of Photolysis and Hydroxyl Radical Reactions of Trifluoroiodomethane