|40x40px||Look up solitary in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A solitary (Latin solus, meaning alone) person, animal or object is one which is not usually in the companionship of others of its type. Solitary activities are those which do not require (or indeed preclude) the presence of others, such as walking, listening to music, cooking or painting.
Those who find renewed personal vigor through engaging in solitary activities are often referred to as introverts; as opposed to extroverts, who find renewed vigor is more likely to follow engagement in activities based upon interpersonal contact.
In a penal setting, the term "in solitary" often refers to being punished through forced solitary confinement.
- Solitaire, a single player card game
- Solitaire (disambiguation)
- Inner peace
- Solitary confinement, a prison term
- Solitary (Lost), an episode of Lost
- Solitary (TV series), a reality show made by FOX