- (S)-nicotine + acceptor + H2O (S)-6-hydroxynicotine + reduced acceptor
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on the CH-NH group of donors with other acceptors. The systematic name of this enzyme class is nicotine:acceptor 6-oxidoreductase (hydroxylating). Other names in common use include nicotine oxidase, D-nicotine oxidase, nicotine:(acceptor) 6-oxidoreductase (hydroxylating), and L-nicotine oxidase. It has 2 cofactors: metal, and FMN.
- IUBMB entry for 220.127.116.11
- BRENDA references for 18.104.22.168 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 22.214.171.124
- PubMed Central references for 126.96.36.199
- Google Scholar references for 188.8.131.52
- BEHRMAN EJ, STANIER RY (1957). "The bacterial oxidation of nicotinic acid". J. Biol. Chem. 228: 923&ndash, 45. PMID 13475371.
- Decker K, Bleeg H (1965). "Induction and purification of stereospecific nicotine oxidizing enzymes from Arthrobacter oxidans". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 105: 313&ndash, 24. PMID 5849820.
- Hochstein LI, Dalton BP (1967). "The purification and properties of nicotine oxidase". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 139: 56&ndash, 68. PMID 4962139.
- HOCHSTEIN LI, RITTENBERG SC (1959). "The bacterial oxidation of nicotine. II. The isolation of the first oxidative product and its identification as (1)-6-hydroxynicotine". J. Biol. Chem. 234: 156&ndash, 60. PMID 13610912.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 37256-31-8.