The term Leukoencephalopathy is a broad term for leukodystrophy-like diseases (PMID 17414998). It is applied to all brain white matter diseases, whether their molecular cause is known. It can refer specifically to any of these diseases:
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Toxic leukoencephalopathy
- Leukoencephalopathy with vanishing white matter
- Leukoencephalopathy with neuroaxonal spheroids
- Reversible posterior leukoencephalopathy syndrome
- megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts
It can also refer to MLC1 or Megalencephalic leukoencephalopathy with subcortical cysts 1, a human gene related to the disease of the same name.