- cholesterol + O2 cholest-4-en-3-one + H2O2
This enzyme belongs to the family of oxidoreductases, specifically those acting on the CH-OH group of donor with oxygen as acceptor. The systematic name of this enzyme class is cholesterol:oxygen oxidoreductase. Other names in common use include cholesterol- O2 oxidoreductase, 3beta-hydroxy steroid oxidoreductase, and 3beta-hydroxysteroid:oxygen oxidoreductase. This enzyme participates in bile acid biosynthesis.
- IUBMB entry for 22.214.171.124
- BRENDA references for 126.96.36.199 (Recommended.)
- PubMed references for 188.8.131.52
- PubMed Central references for 184.108.40.206
- Google Scholar references for 220.127.116.11
- Richmond W (1973). "Preparation and properties of a cholesterol oxidase from Nocardia sp. and its application to the enzymatic assay of total cholesterol in serum". Clin. Chem. 19: 1350&ndash, 6. PMID 4757363.
- STADTMAN TC, CHERKES A, ANFINSEN CB (1954). "Studies on the microbiological degradation of cholesterol". J. Biol. Chem. 206: 511&ndash, 23. PMID 13143010.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is 9028-76-6.