Aortic stenosis surgery complications
Aortic stenosis surgery
Aortic stenosis surgery complications On the Web
American Roentgen Ray Society Images of Aortic stenosis surgery complications
Complications of aortic stenosis surgery may include blood clots in the legs that may travel to the lungs, blood loss, breathing problems, infection, including in the lungs, kidneys, bladder, chest, or heart valve, reactions to medicines, nausea and vomiting, abnormal or painful scar formation , and allergic skin reactions.
Risks of any Surgery
- Blood clots in the legs that may travel to the lungs
- Blood loss
- Breathing problems
- Infection, including in the lungs, kidneys, bladder, chest, or heart valves
- Reactions to medicines
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abnormal or painful scar formation
- Allergic skin reaction
Possible Risks from having Open-Heart Surgery
There are many possible complications after an Open Heart Surgery. The postoperative risk factors can be related to various factors including albumin, TLC and BMI. Some possible complications after a cardiac surgery are:
- Heart attack or stroke
- Heart rhythm problems; such as atrial fibrillation
- Infection in the cut, which is more likely to happen in people who are obese, have diabetes, or have already had this surgery
- Memory loss and loss of mental clarity, or "fuzzy thinking"
- Post-pericardiotomy syndrome, which is a low-grade fever and chest pain. This could last for up to 6 months.
- Acute Renal Failure
- Metabolic complications like hyperglycaemia, hypokalemia and increased free fatty acid concentration.
Prosthetic Heart Valves are Associated with a Variety of Complications
- Structural deterioration, particularly with bioprosthetic valves
- Valve obstruction due to thrombosis or pannus formation
- Systemic embolization
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Thrombocytopenia or Bleeding
- Endocarditis and other infections
- Left ventricular systolic dysfunction, which may be preexisting (Heart failure)
- Hemolytic anemia
- Escobar MA, Caty MG (2016). "Complications in neonatal surgery". Semin Pediatr Surg. 25 (6): 347–370. doi:10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2016.10.005. PMID 27989360.
- Bechtel P, Boorse R, Rovito P, Harrison TD, Hong J (2013). "Warfarin users prone to coagulopathy in first 30 days after hospital discharge from gastric bypass". Obes Surg. 23 (10): 1515–9. doi:10.1007/s11695-013-0972-5. PMID 23645479.
- Kumar AS, Alaparthi GK, Augustine AJ, Pazhyaottayil ZC, Ramakrishna A, Krishnakumar SK (2016). "Comparison of Flow and Volume Incentive Spirometry on Pulmonary Function and Exercise Tolerance in Open Abdominal Surgery: A Randomized Clinical Trial". J Clin Diagn Res. 10 (1): KC01–6. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2016/16164.7064. PMC 4740618. PMID 26894090.
- Kelkar KV (2015). "Post-operative pulmonary complications after non-cardiothoracic surgery". Indian J Anaesth. 59 (9): 599–605. doi:10.4103/0019-5049.165857. PMC 4613407. PMID 26556919.
- Gonçalves LB, Jesus NM, Gonçalves MB, Dias LC, Deiró TC (2016). "Preoperative Nutritional Status and Clinical Complications in the Postoperative Period of Cardiac Surgeries". Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 31 (5): 371–380. doi:10.5935/1678-9741.20160077. PMC 5144568. PMID 27982346.
- Laizo A, Delgado FE, Rocha GM (2010). "Complications that increase the time of Hospitalization at ICU of patients submitted to cardiac surgery". Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc. 25 (2): 166–71. PMID 20802907.
- Taniguchi FP, Souza AR, Martins AS (2007). "Cardiopulmonary bypass time as a risk factor for acute renal failure". Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc. 22 (2): 201–5. PMID 17992325.
- Jakob SM, Stanga Z (2010). "Perioperative metabolic changes in patients undergoing cardiac surgery". Nutrition. 26 (4): 349–53. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2009.07.014. PMID 20053534.
- Cheng DC, Asokumar B, Nakagawa T (1993). "Amrinone therapy for severe pulmonary hypertension and biventricular failure after complicated valvular heart surgery". Chest. 104 (5): 1618–20. PMID 8222841.
- Sánchez E, Corrales JA, Fantidis P, Tarhini IS, Khan I, Pineda T; et al. (2016). "Thrombocytopenia after Aortic Valve Replacement with Perceval S Sutureless Bioprosthesis". J Heart Valve Dis. 25 (1): 75–81. PMID 27989089.
- Lunardi M, Pesarini G, Zivelonghi C, Piccoli A, Geremia G, Ariotti S; et al. (2016). "Clinical outcomes of transcatheter aortic valve implantation: from learning curve to proficiency". Open Heart. 3 (2): e000420. doi:10.1136/openhrt-2016-000420. PMC 5013502. PMID 27621826.
- Zhao Y, Cui GM, Zhou NN, Li C, Zhang Q, Sun H; et al. (2016). "Calpain-Calcineurin-Nuclear Factor Signaling and the Development of Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with Valvular Heart Disease and Diabetes". J Diabetes Res. 2016: 4639654. doi:10.1155/2016/4639654. PMC 4830711. PMID 27123462.